Exemplification is to offer examples about a certain topic. Writing an illustration paper thus means providing plenty of examples so as to support an issue. This type of essay uses many examples to explain, show and or prove an argument. A perfect exemplification essay should not only in co-operate as many examples as possible to get the point across but also the examples should be detailed and accurate. Each example should be carefully chosen so as to appeal to the eyes of the reader and help them understand the overall point of the essay. Well put examples enhances the essay’s vitality and intensity. Writing such an essay can be intimidating to anyone who has never tackled it before. This essay will focus on constructing an outline for an illustrative essay. The essay will employ the use of subtopics and relevant examples. I will use a topic example of “Almost Perfect Parent” for illustration.
The first place to begin is the introduction. A good introduction normally features two parts; the “hook”, (the hook is what entices the reader to keep reading your paper) and the thesis statement. A thesis statement is a small introduction of what your exemplification essay will be about; it is a quick description of the overall point of the body of the essay. For example, an introduction of my topic mentioned above would be as follows
“Most people do not agree with their parents growing up, but why, what makes a perfect parent? Is it unconditional love, or is it just providing for needs? I cannot tell you what makes a perfect parent, but I can tell you what made my father an almost perfect parent. In my opinion, I had an outstanding dad that had an exceptional balance in what it takes to be a perfect father, which I believe takes three key features. To be a great dad it takes leadership, being a good advisor, and being a friend.”
As seen above I have introduced my topic and put down the thesis of the paper. This will help the reader understand what the entire paper is all about.
After finishing your introduction, you will have to processed to the body portion of the essay. The length of the body depends on the instructions given by the lecturer. It is recommended that before writing an exemplification paper, you should organize your ideas and examples. Planning comes into play when writing the body of the essay; a good body should look like the example below.
“Leadership is more than being in charge or simply being head of a group. Leadership is a dedication to doing what it takes to help the people around you win. Leadership is the acts of General Patton during World War II. As he heard of American men surrounded by German forces, he did not wait for someone else to do something, he did not stay by his camp fire during the bitter winter and stay warm, nor did he rest his mind for a split second. Instead, he jumped to their call and pushed through snow and mud, leading his men to the aid of his fellow Americans (“10 Lessons from America’s Greatest Military Leaders”). Leadership is my dad’s ability to show you the correct way to do things but still give you the option to make your choice. Leadership is pushing your needs aside for the benefit of others and is an essential component to an ideal parent, but it is only the beginning of becoming a great parent.”
All the points should be clearly defined and reinforced with supporting arguments and examples.
The last thing that needs to be done is to wrap up your essay. The conclusion involves a summary of the major topics discussed in the essay. Also, you may want to restate your thesis but rather than duplicating what you had written you should try and paraphrase it. An example of my conclusion would be something like this.
To be a great father it takes the dedication to be a leader, the wisdom to be an advisor, and the heart to be a friend. Although being perfect is impossible, if a parent pursues these attributes, they will be an incredible parent that can grow another generation of amazing parents. These characteristics are not easy to acquire but are well worth it to become an almost perfect parent.
After you have finished your paper, you should go through it to make sure that everything is well written.
The outline should look as follows.
- Thesis Statement: In my opinion, I had an outstanding dad that had an exceptional balance in what it takes to be a perfect father, which I believe takes three key features. To be a great dad it takes leadership, being a good advisor, and being a friend.”
- First Main Idea Sentence for First Body Paragraph
- Supporting Idea Sentence for First Body Paragraph
- examples for First Body Paragraph
III. Good advisor
- First Main Idea Sentence for second Body Paragraph
- Supporting Idea Sentence for second Body Paragraph
- examples for second Body Paragraph
- Being a friend
- First Main Idea Sentence for third Body Paragraph
- Supporting Idea Sentence for third Body Paragraph
- examples for third Body Paragraph
- Conclusion Paragraph
- Discuss the impact of the current level of technologies to our culture
- Examine the impact that the growing number of fast food restaurants have had out of America.
- Debate the impact that hoarding has on families.
- Deliberate the impact that online education has had on traditional education.
- Converse the impact that businesses feel from social networking
- Discuss the impact of religion in the modern culture.
- Should everyone receive free medical care?
- Is a college degree necessary in the modern society?
- Should schools enforce any religious beliefs on their students?
- Are gun regulations tough enough?